1 a prescribed selection of foods
2 a legislative assembly in certain countries (e.g., Japan)
3 the usual food and drink consumed by an organism (person or animal)
4 the act of restricting your food intake (or your intake of particular foods) [syn: dieting]
1 follow a regimen or a diet, as for health reasons; "He has high blood pressure and must stick to a low-salt diet"
2 eat sparingly, for health reasons or to lose weight
- Rhymes: -aɪət
- The food and beverage a person or animal
- The diet of the Giant Panda consists mainly of bamboo.
- A controlled regimen of food and drink, as to gain or lose weight or otherwise influence health.
- By extension, any habitual intake or consumption.
- He's been reading a steady diet of nonfiction for the last several years.
- A council or assembly of leaders.
food a person or animal consumes
controlled regimen of food
council of leaders
- To modify one's food and beverage intake so as to decrease or increase body weight or influence health.
Diet, in relation to food, might mean:
Diet may also mean:
- Diet (assembly), formal deliberative assembly
- The Imperial Diet: (German: Reichstag) the imperial assembly of the princes of the Holy Roman Empire until 1806
- The Diet of the Empire: (German: Reichstag) legislative assembly of the German Empire 1871–1917
- The Federal Diet: (literally for German: Deutscher Bundestag) federal parliament of Germany
- State Diet: (literally for German: Landtag) state parliament of most of the German federated states
- Diet of Finland: the legislative assembly of the Grand Duchy of Finland from 1809 to 1906
- Diet of Japan: Japan's legislature
diet in Danish: Diæt
diet in German: Diäten
diet in Persian: رژیم غذایی
diet in French: Diète
diet in Italian: Dieta
diet in Polish: Dieta
diet in Portuguese: Dieta (desambiguação)
diet in Swedish: Diet
diet in Yiddish: דיעטע
British Cabinet, Sanhedrin, US Cabinet, abstain, acid-ash diet, advisory body, aliment, allergy diet, assemblee, assembly, assignation, association, at home, ball, bench, bicameral legislature, bland diet, board, board of aldermen, body of advisers, borough council, brain trust, brawl, break bread, cabinet, calorie chart, calorie counter, camarilla, caucus, chamber, chamber of deputies, city board, city council, colloquium, commission, committee, common council, conclave, concourse, conference, congregation, congress, consultative assembly, conventicle, convention, convocation, council, council fire, council of ministers, council of state, council of war, count calories, county council, court, dance, date, deliberative assembly, diabetic diet, diet book, dietary, dietetics, dieting, directory, divan, eat, eisteddfod, fall to, fare, fast, federal assembly, feed, festivity, fete, food, forgathering, forum, gathering, general assembly, get-together, high-protein diet, high-vitamin diet, house, house of assembly, housewarming, hunger, intake, junta, kitchen cabinet, legislative assembly, legislative body, legislative chamber, legislature, levee, lose flesh, lose weight, low-carbohydrate diet, low-salt diet, lower chamber, lower house, macrobiotic diet, meet, meeting, national assembly, nourishment, nutriment, panel, pap, parish council, parliament, partake, partake of, party, pitch in, plenum, privy council, prom, provincial legislature, provincial parliament, quorum, rally, reception, reduce, reduce weight, regime, regimen, relish, rendezvous, representative town meeting, salt-free diet, savor, seance, session, shindig, sit-in, sitting, slenderize, slim, slim down, soft diet, soiree, soviet, spoon victuals, staff, state assembly, state legislature, subsistence, sustenance, symposium, syndicate, synod, take, take off weight, taste, thin down, town meeting, tribunal, turnout, ulcer diet, unicameral legislature, upper chamber, upper house, vegetarianism, victuals, vitamin-deficiency diet, weight-watch